Concur - Travel Checklist


This training guide provides a checklist of what you need to do before creating your Concur Travel Requests (TR) and booking travel in Concur Travel or with a CTP travel agents.  PLEASE NOTE: Only active KU employees have Concur access.  Non-employee student travel requests and bookings are done through their department support staff or SSC/LSI/IPSR travel support staff. This includes GRAs/GTAs in-between HR appointments.

Questions and Assistance

  • For Concur Travel questions and assistance, please contact Travel Services at or the Financial Services help desk at

Step One:  Required 

Before booking travel in Concur or with CTP, you must:

  1. Create a Concur Travel Request (TR) for ALL university-related employee and student out of state and international travel at least 14-day prior to domestic and 30-days prior to international departure. 

    • Be sure to have your funding info and expense estimated ready to enter in your TR.
    • Ensure your TR is either approved or that you have available funding before booking travel in Concur Travel or directly with our travel agency CTP.  
    • Non-employee student travel requests are processed by the SSC via the SSC Travel Request Form and their bookings are done by department support staff or SSC/LSI/IPSR travel support staff in Concur using Book for a guest.
  2. Establish your form of payment.  Employee travelers must use a KU/KUCR P-Card issued to them  -OR-  a personal credit card in Concur. Do not use a department or another employee's P-Card.
    • If you do not have a P-Card, employees can obtain a KU/KUCR (Travel or Individual "standard") P-Card, or a Single Trip Declining Balance P-Card at their supervisor's discretion by completing the following:

      1. Review Procurement Card Procedures and P-Card FAQ.
      2. Fill out and submit the P-Card application in TeamDynamix (TDX).
        • Hint: Employees who travel more than once a year should get an Individual standard or Travel P-Card rather than a Declining Balance P-Card.
        • Note: If applying for a Declining Balance P-Card a TR must be approved before applying.
      3. Complete and Pass the P-Card Quiz in Canvas. The requestor will be notified by email with the link to take the quiz.
      4. You can pick up your P-Card after successfully completing the quiz. 
        • Note: The process to get a Travel/Individual P-Card takes approximately 10 business days.  Declining Balance P-Cards are generally ready to pick up within 4 business days or less (extra lead time is appreciated due to limited office hours). 
  3. Update your Concur Profile as needed.  After you have updated and reviewed your profile for accuracy, it should only needed edited if you have a change in your saved information.  Note: Non-employee students do not have Concur Profiles, so their travel is booked as a Guest by department or SSC/LSI/IPSR support staff.
    • Hint: Be sure to: 

      • Ensure your name matches your photo ID used to check into airport security. If it does not, send an email to and let them know that your name needs updated in your Concur Profile and give them the correct name.
      • Add your mobile number for airline contact purposes. It is recommended that travelers also put their mobile number in the Work number field as it is a better contact number while traveling.
      • Complete the Verify process for your KU email address.
      • Add your SSC support staff or travel processor's email as an additional email in the Email Addresses section so they can always get a copy of your CTP travel itinerary/invoice for documentation purposes. Leave their email as Not Verified.
      • Add your emergency contact info.
      • Add travel preferences and frequent traveler programs if applicable.
      • Add travel arrangers that will help manage your travel as needed.
      • Enter KU/KUCR P-Card issued in your name -or- personal credit card -- multiple cards can be saved to your profile.
  4. Activate E-Receipts in your Profile Options page or from the Alerts section on the Concur Home page.
    • This only needs to be done once to give airlines, participating hotels and car rental vendor permission to electronically submit their airfare/hotel/car rental receipts directly into your Concur.
  5. Review the Travel Policy & Procedures page for travel policies and guidance as needed.
  6. Visit the Training Library as needed for instructional assistance with booking in Concur Travel.

After you book your trip, you must:

  1. Submit your P-Card receipts to your SSC/LSI/IPSR support staff or travel processor as soon as the purchase is made.

    • Be sure to turn in receipts for P-card purchases no later than a 5 days after purchase so the transaction can be processed and we can pay the bank.
  2. Notify your SSC/LSI/IPSR support staff or travel processor of your return after the completion of your trip. 
    • Submit your trip details and expense breakdown, as well as all required receipts & documentation for your out-of-pocket expense reimbursement.
    • Please DO NOT create your own Expense Report in Concur. Your SSC/LSI/IPSR support staff will process this on your behalf. 
    • Be sure to turn in reimbursement requests and receipts within 60 days of your return.  Due to I.R.S regulations, any receipts submitted after 60 days of your return from travel will be processed as a taxable reimbursement.

Step Two:  Not Required, but Helpful for Quicker Reimbursement Processing

Before you travel it is recommended that you:

  • Download the Concur Mobile app and connect other travel apps with ConcurNote: Please let your SSC/LSI/IPSR support staff know if you have electronically submitted a receipt to your Concur.  They do not get notices of receipts waiting to be processed.

    • The ExpenseIt tool within Concur Mobile can be used to take pictures and submit receipts automatically to your Available Expenses for reimbursement processing.
    • Travel apps such as Uber, Lyft, The Parking Spot and Spot Hero that you connect to your Concur Profile will automatically send electronic receipts to your Available Expenses for reimbursement processing.